Read Time:1 Minute, 5 Second
- Volunteers are an important part of communities nationwide. Many non-profits depend on them to deliver services and make a difference. Here are our top 12 volunteer engagement tips for 2016: Ensure that your organization’s values and goals align with the experience your volunteers are looking for.
- Informal volunteer recognition is often more effective than formal methods.
- Volunteers should receive training specific to their volunteer role and their individual needs.
- Discover what motivates your volunteers.
- Youth are more inclined to join their friends, so consider offering them group volunteering opportunities.
- Family volunteers want opportunities where their kids can actively participate.
- Some volunteers enjoy public recognition while others prefer to hear it one-on-one.
- Current newcomer volunteers can serve as cultural bridges to engage new volunteers.
- When engaging big groups of volunteers, organize several different activities to happen at the same time. This makes organization easier for you and gives them options.
- Today’s volunteers want to find more information online. Post your volunteer opportunities and details about your volunteer program on your website or social media page.
- Employer-supported volunteers often want tasks that are different from their work.
- When training volunteers, provide clear information about your organization and the specific tasks and scope of the volunteer position.
Follow @VolunteerCanada on Twitter for more tips!